As we get into the busy spring & summer months of real estate, we will see more homes coming on the market, but along with that there will be more buyers. In hot markets like the Boulder-Denver area, we are seeing houses fly off the market in days, often ending in bidding wars. I believe that buyers are feeling pressured to act fast without thinking through the details of a house & how it may or may not work for them.
Houzz has a great Home-Buying Checklist that lists out 20 things to consider beyond the inspection. There are many great points in this article to think through on your search to ensure the house you may be considering is the right fit for you and your family. Some are obvious like:
- Size of rooms
- Number of bathrooms
- Kitchen features
- The neighborhood
However, there are other points that may be less obvious and potentially more important such as:
- Interior layout: does the flow work for your daily life?
- Lot grade & lot features: how much of the lot is usable for you & is the property safe for children or pets? Is there more yard work than you can realistically manage?
- Amount of natural light: if you are seriously considering a home, look at it a second time and at a different time of day to see what the light is like in the house.
- Regional weather conditions: think about the functionality of the house & outdoor space in all seasons, not just the season you’re searching in.
- Street parking: there may be rules that are more or less favorable to your situation. Some families may need to rely on street parking and others may not want a street lined with cars. Checking into HOA requirements &/or town ordinances can help identify what the parking situation is.
Having these items in the back of your mind as you go through your home search may help ensure you are happy with your home purchase for years to come.
If you or anyone you know needs help on their Boulder-Denver home buying search, I’d love to help! Please reach out through the contact form below or emailing me at email@example.com.
Photo from @Houzz